Thursday 17 March 2011

Jesus welcomes all

Well, I did say I couldn’t promise to be a regular blogger but in my defence I also only wanted to write when I had something to say. I’ve now got something to say.

I don’t know about you, but most of my Christian life is fairly pedestrian. I know I’m a Christian – I’ve given my life to God, I read the Bible, I say my prayers, I pray for others, I seek to do and live as Jesus would. I find days can fall into weeks which fall into months and years living this rather ‘ordinary’ Christian existence. Still, every now and again a challenge comes along that creates a crossroads moment – a moment that stretches us to choose - do we go the way of Christ or the way of the world. As we travel God’s way we experience a fresh and deep connectedness with God that makes sense of, that validates, that energises the ordinariness of our everyday faith.

Many of you will be aware that we have given temporary refuge to the Roof-Stops night shelter at St Thomas’. To cut a long story short, the project was itself made homeless just a few short weeks before it was due to conclude for the spring. After a fruitless search for an alternative venue it became apparent that St Thomas’ represented the last-stop for roof-stop. A quick ring around the Standing Committee and a chat with Anne in the office and we decided that it was more than incumbent on us to open up our spiritual home to be a place of refuge to those with nowhere else to go. Checks and procedures were put into place and agreements made with the project and within a few short hours Roof-Stops new address was St Thomas’ Chatsworth Road.

Throughout the duration of Roof-Stops time among us members of St Thomas’ have been fantastic; they’ve embraced the project with an openness and joy that is truly wonderful – all credit to the care and maturity of those who worship here. This sadly, has not been universally true. I was and continue to be confident that we put more than enough safeguards in place so that we could ensure the protection of all other users of our building and those in the wider community but I was quick to discover that some disagreed – some strongly disagreed!

The venom and anger that a good number of members of our community have targeted at me has been a big surprise. To say that I’m unpopular with some in our community would probably be an understatement of the greatest magnitude! One woman’s response to the homeless typified the response I’ve received from many in the course of these last few weeks, she told me, “I’m not prejudice, but those people are scum”. Another commented, “you people (meaning the church) are only interested in those sort of people, not decent people like us”. It’s hard to know how to respond to such prejudice and cold heartedness. The only response I found was to point them to the sign that stands outside of our Church … it was a sign that has been there long before I came and it reads, “Jesus Welcomes All”. We’re not about being a club or society that only admits a certain type of person – rather we’re growing a Church that welcomes everyone – the good ‘decent’ people of Brampton and those whose lives are hallmarked by chaos and trouble. Sometimes that’s not easy and sometimes that’s uncomfortable and costly – sometimes the odour around us is not as fresh as we’re used to (now we know as a church what caring smells like!). But the truth remains – we care for ALL. I believe this sign now means something more to us that it did before – it’s no longer a slogan or a religious platitude – it’s a real statement of faith and action. ‘ALL’ now has a face – ‘ALL’ has a story. If you were in church for our Ash Wednesday service you will have been privileged to hear ‘Mark’ stand up and share a few words with us at the end of the service. Mark was a client of Roof-Stops and he joined us to worship. At the end of the service he read to us Matthew 25 and in his own way thanked us for the care shown to him. “That’s me” he said, as he read “I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me in”. I know many were moved to the point of tears as they realised that the ‘poor and the needy’ that we read about in scripture actually have a face and a story.

Someone said to me, “It’s not whether you care or not, most people ‘care’; it’s how much you care that counts”. It’s strange that it’s easy to help those who are homeless on the other side of the world but some seem to struggle to help the homeless in our own neighbourhood. Why is that I wonder? Could it be that the smell and the dirt of those poor unfortunates in far flung corners of the world don’t reach our nostrils? The possibility that they might steal from us or cause trouble or disturbance to our lives is too distant and remote to be a concern. Do we care enough to get up-close and personal with need, to go beyond sympathy and be led to action? do we care enough to become unpopular (No-one said people would stand around and applaud you for doing what Jesus would do)? do we care enough to risk reputation and good standing in the community? I believe the Lord has tested us as a church to see if we mean what we say or whether our wayside pulpit is just a nice sentiment … I believe we do.

One final thought as I reflect on these last few weeks. I’ve been reminded afresh that Jesus had a bias for the poor, that he has a special love for those ‘without’. Christ displayed this in many ways, not least by his acceptance and love for the leper. We don’t have leprosy as a disease in our society – we have the homeless instead….

Lepers were violently excluded from society …
… as are the homeless
Lepers carry a social stigma that goes beyond the reality of their condition …
…. as do the homeless
Lepers were forced to live on the margins of society …
…. as are the homeless
The Church cares of lepers ….. the homesless …. and those in need …..as does St Thomas

So, there you have it, I’m Matty-no-mates in a big part of Brampton – but I’m unpopular for heading up a church that cares for the poor, that offers refuge to those who have no-where to go. I’m privileged to be in the company of people who care for those the world would discard. As I lay my head on the pillow at the end of the day I think to myself that there are worse things to be unpopular for.


6 comments:

  1. Amen, Matt.
    I don't think some people liked Jesus much, either, did they?
    Keep on keeping on, I reckon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very inspirational reading, Matt

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would wager that the desires driving your ears work in the same way as those with the written word hehe

    I know I’m not accepted by Christians – I also live my life in gods grace. I also read the Bible I also say prayers occasionally, I pray for others, probably more often than myself, I seek to do and live as Jesus and many other saints have done and do. But I do it my way rather than following man made systems, which make the task seem more like an elite club with privileges rather than true spiritual living.

    ‘ordinary’ Christian existence should never steal time, though I know it does due to bad christian practice. 

    Whether to be true in grace is never a question for those that accept it in Fairh.

    Why a temporary shelter, god seems to want you to share the new building with those that cannot help you pay for further Kingdoms that are in his name but to use what you have gathered in terms of souls and money and get them to heal each other, and your congregation in the process.

    Why did the project become homeless as you so poetically put it?

     I have no interest in political stories other than to say that the people that made the decision about terminating the project should explain why! If you know why then you should share it if being apolitical in your faith!

    Throughout the duration of Roof-Stops time among us members of St Thomas’ have been fantastic; they’ve embraced the project with an openness and joy that is truly wonderful – all credit to the care and maturity of those who worship here. 

    I am not sure what you mean by other users of the building but if you mean those that bring money more than faith then they belong in a holy place less than the needy, as Jesus behavior teaches you!

    Strong disagreement, I like it, welcome to empathy hell Matt. 

    A place where you can meet many that would love for you to see their world so they know you can show them yours. Rather than enticing them with the glories of god apparently afforded to the faithful! I am not sure about the object of the faith of some in your church who share such visions of gain hehe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Neither venom or anger are exclusive to those outside the church! Being uncomfortable with it means you are too distant from the things created in Your name, in Jesus name, in gods name! 

    By quoting “I’m not prejudice, but those people are scum”, from your conversation with the woman will not open her up to communication with you! Or endear your church to an audience that is so deserving of your efforts to expand the church in truth!

    The other comment about “you people (are you sure they mean the church) are only interested in those sort of people, not decent people like us”. Leads me to think that you don't talk heart to heart with the people in church or you would hear something akin to this there as well and sometimes feel worse.

    I am very happy that the sign outside says “Jesus Welcomes All”. I would be happier if this was true or if the words were changed, if for example it said what the real church truth appears to be, based on evidence of lessons taught by readers and leaders as well as St T Laypeople and the way one is made to feel if they don't, Fit In or meet the strategic needs of the 'church'

    As you can see, I am not convinced about the church not being a club or society that only admits a certain type of person 

    However, I accept your desire probably is to be "growing a Church that welcomes everyone"

    It is not only the lives of the  'indecent' that is hallmarked by chaos and trouble, something that you seem to be gaining empathy for, slowly, and the appearance of decency can be within the challenge of gods chaotic formulae.

    ‘ALL’ now has a face – ‘ALL’ has a story is nothing new, it is seeing the face and smiling, genuinely, rather than like a sly money motivated fox, that needs to be new.

    Anout - Someone said to me, “It’s not whether you care or not, most people ‘care’; it’s how much you care that counts”. Amen.

    Re: Do we care enough to get up-close and personal with need, to go beyond sympathy and be led to action in faith to become unpopular, risk reputation and good standing in the community, ( you forgot amongst friends) if we had any in the first place hehe. 

    I also believe the Lord is testing us all to see if we mean what we say about our love for ourselves as our love for others, whether they happen to be 'sheeples' ( a nice term I came across when listening to a decent person talk about people in churches ) or humans looking for spiritual content in holy places.

    So there you have it. I believe Jesus said something about not to expect extra interest for achievements rewarded on earth. So stop looking for a pat on the back for what should be a vocation and rest in your good acts. Your a great servant but keep your pride lest you say yes to something untrue in gods name, via Jesus via your ego !

    ReplyDelete
  5. For those that felt it appropriate to threaten and intimidate me while at the church, I repeat my truth, I am not a Christian but I have faith in the grace of gods truth that this matters neither for me nor anyone else who has faith beyond the limits of manmade systems which offer the same! I will continue to look at all religions for signs of faith and what the words around the signs can teach me. For this is what one does when they Silkh Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear mat
    keep up the good work you are a credit to us all.

    thanks malc

    ReplyDelete